Search This Blog

Follow me on Twitter

March 14, 2013

Join.me When You Need to Share Your Computer Remotely

join.me,


If you are having a problem with your computer, someone elsewhere can view your screen and remotely control your computer temporarily to fix the problem. JoinMe is a good program to use for this purpose. I have used it to help others fix their computer problems as well as show them how to better use their computer. It is very user friendly, easily installed in under a minute and no account setup is needed. There is both a free and pro version. I personally have not found a need for the pro version which currently costs $149 for an annual membership or $19 if you choose to use it by the month. For either version you can send files between all users. Note that if you are not connected to the internet, you cannot use this or any other program to share your computer with someone remotely or to view someone else’s.  You also have the ability to talk online or have an online chat using Join.me as well.

As mentioned, the whole process of downloading the Join.me program and placing the toolbar on your computer takes under a minute.  When you first go to Join.me you will see a screen that looks similar to the one below. Under “share your screen” click on “basic” and then the orange arrow key.  This will begin your download.  Follow the prompts and the Join.me toolbar will be in the upper middle of your screen. If you need to view someone else’s screen, enter the 9 digit code that the person sharing your screen gives to you and press the green arrow.

By just sharing your screen, you can use Join.me for doing a presentation as well.  It is more than just a program to use if you have a computer problem or to solve someone else’s. I also know of a husband and wife who reviewed travel plans using it when one of them was out of town.  These are just by using the free version.  The pro version offers you such features as presenter swap, meeting scheduler and international conference lines. Whether or not you feel a need to use the pro version is up to you but as you can see, the free version has some good uses.

If you have additional questions about remotely sharing your computer, I can be reached at (917) 572-3468 or email me at mike@computerconciergeny.com 

My Facebook page http://on.fb.me/MikesCCNY provides information on the current goings on in the technology field. There are tips to better use your computer and smartphone. For timely information, please visit and "Like" my page.




Computer Concierge NY LLC, provides expert computer and technology services in the Queens New York area, Including  Albertson, Bayside, Bayside Hills, Bay Terrace, Bellrose, College Point, Douglaston, Floral Park,  Flushing, Forest Hills, Great Neck, Jamaica Estates, Kew Gardens, Kings Point, Lake Success, Manhasset, Mineola, Munsey Park,  New Hyde Park, North Hills, North Shore Towers, Oakland Gardens, Plandome, Rego Park, Roslyn, The Bay Club, Thomaston, University Gardens, Williston Park, Whitestone and Other Areas in the Bayside vicinity.  Our web services are provided worldwide.